Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Journey of millions miles.

It was 5 minutes past 8 when I finally found the bus to Meerut. I grabbed one of the seats as it was flooded with anthropoids. I don’t want to enjoy a more than an hour journey standing and holding two big bags. Fortunately, I got window seat. At around 8:10, bus started to leave the stand. The cool breeze was blowing. I was looking at the hopeless traffic of Ghaziabad. Suddenly, one thought came to my mind – Finally, I have to bid farewell to IMT-Ghaziabad. A long tour of glorious 21 months has come to a halt. Everything started replaying in my mind. I can recall all my memorable moments from the first day to the last day of IMT. I closed my eyes and started remembering all the events at IMT.
The first day at IMT – 24th June 2007
I landed at around 3 pm in hot chilling day at Ghaziabad station and hire an auto for IMT. I asked the guard for the registration process and he told me to go to room no. D-9. It took more than 15 minutes to reach D-9 and my shirt was all wet because of perspiration. Raman Sir allotted me my room J-105. My room was on third floor. Till I reach my room I was totally exhausted. I met with my roommate Piyush Jain and his friend Vinay. I took a bath and then went to meet Anjani. Anjani was the only friend I know because she was my classmate during engineering. There was a guard in front of her lobby and he did not allow me to enter that lobby. Unfortunately my phone was not working so I could not call her. I thought for an alternative and I decided to arrange my room. The scene was set for an aura of exhilaration.

Conductor woke me and asked for ticket. I gave him 25 rupees and he gave me the ticket to Meerut. I put it in my pocket and again closed my eyes.
The Culture Shock
The orientation program begins at 7 A. M. with Yoga and if you are late by few minutes then you have to do three rounds of the ground. That was cruel but reality. I thought “Is IMT stands for Indian Military Training?” Classes were like sleeping pills that you cannot enjoy (because you can’t sleep). PDP was the late night attraction and euphemism for ragging. It was not enjoyable for me because it was a culture shock. Singing and Dancing was not a problem even proposing but ad-making pestered me. Arguments with a senior (worthless to mention name) or ring-a-ring roses around Sajja (he was nice person) were enjoyable. I also enjoyed the dance of two persons – Shuchi and Sucharit. One day I was told to sing a bhakti geet – Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram, other day I was asked to run around the ground shouting “Main Yahan Padne aaya hoon”. The best moment was with Sheeza when I request her to exchange information of each other and she did it. The most exciting day of orientation was outbound day. When you hold a dame in your hand and feel like heaven then you ought to make it unforgettable. I was not good at giving presentation but the first presentation at IMT was not official. Giving a presentation in front of 100 senior, all ready to make comments, was not a caper. It was more enjoyable to sit in the audience watching jokers wearing white shirt with a tag of ‘KELA’ and holding a banana in hand. Optimal utilization of words was not visible in the scene.

Bus stopped for two minutes at Muradabad. I took a sip from water bottle. I remember the day when I told one senior that I cannot stay in IMT because of the culture differences. Senior told not to get disheartened. He encouraged me to stay in IMT. I thank him. Bus was slowly passing the city. Bus was taking me forward but my heart was left behind.
My first crush at IMT
After orientation, suddenly life came to stop. We were free for most of the time. I got some good friends. I always believe friendship is the most important relationship a person builds in his life. Sucharit and Piyush were already hailed as friends. No sooner had the classes started, then Sahil, Rahul, Bhasin and KP joined the group. Our meeting place of I-5.
I, with my group members, was sitting near library to discuss on a project. I saw a lady coming in a red top with a beautiful smile. I always cherish that smile. This was my first crush at IMT. I always blame myself for choosing the wrong option. I got very good GPA in the first term and also became the member of club MarkUp. It become the platform for making more friends. Ashukant, Sid, Akanksha were making my life better at IMT. Fortunately, Shuchi joined MarkUp and we together went for pitching to Kavi Nagar.

My heart was feeling very sad. I opened my eyes and looked towards sky. I thought of God and said in the mind “Khel khelta hai tu and chot lagti hai humain”.
My Biggest Achievement
Sahil already became my good friend but he left for France in third term. Then I came close to Sudhanshu, Sudeep and Pavan. Some more friends were added to my friends list like Ashwini, Saurabh and Sankshep. Pavan and I had a great fun during summers. We used to play badminton daily. I learnt badminton during two months.
MarkUp was dominant in the second year. We started with a big bang and ended in a styel. It was MarkUp through out second year. We ruined all efforts of competitors through new and innovative events. The time we spent in the SAC room for preparation was fun. We organized various events but the most successful was Marketing World Cup. We had more than 107 registration and we had to close the registration before deadline. It was a huge success in IMT and it was my greatest achievement.

A drop of tears came in my eyes for this achievement. I took out a hanky from my pocket and pressed against eyes.
The Turning Point
Sahil invited us for his sister wedding. I along with Shuchi, Bhasin, Rahul, KP and Shweta attended the wedding. We also went Vaishnov Devi during November. I remember the 6 hours of waiting at some station, astronomical amount of bills and chatting at Bhairav Baba Mandir. Sahil, Shuchi and I became very good friends. We spend most of the time together. I spent my most memorable moments with Sahil and Shchi. We went for 4 day trip to Mathura, Vrindavan, Agra and Fatepur Sikri. It was amazing to ride on tonga, sit on rear of auto, roaming around to find a proper place for dinner etc. But we had great hotel to live in – all thanks to Ashish Bahiya (Sahil’s Brother).

Now my eyes were flooding with water. I again drank some water and wipe my tears.
I, along with Pavan, sucharit, sudeep, sankshep, saurabh and shahan, formed a group called “We Will Rock” to prepare for the placement. It helped me a lot. I thank all the members. After exams we all went for Hrishkesh trip. Sahil, shuchi and shweta also accompanied us. The camp was great and we enjoyed thoroughly.
Finally the convocation arrived. I was very happy because my mom and dad were with me. I along with my friends spent whole night in clicking photographs of the campus.
The next two days were reserved for Dili Darshan. We three along with Sahil’s cousin Ankur went to see lot of places in Delhi. We saw Jantar-Mantar, AksharDham, Raj Ghat, Banagla Saheb Gurudwara etc. The second day was reserved for Chandani Chowk. We went there to sell off our old books. We had our lunch at Paratha wali Gali. We almost ate 15 parathas all different. We also drank a huge glass of lassi. After coming back to college, we packed our bags. It took us more than 2 hrs to pack our luggage. Rahul and Shuchi came to see off me and Sahil. Suddenly Shuchi started crying and Sahil tried to placate her. I realized for the first time that I am leaving this place forever. I won’t be able to meet all my friends in the same manner and enthusiasm as I did it while stay at IMT. Sahil and I hire a auto to bus stand. I have to board the bus to Meerut and Sahil was going to Dilshad Garden. We hugged each other and bid farewell. We exchanged wishes and I took the path to bus stand.

I also reached Meerut bus stand. My eyes were filled with water as I deboarded the bus. I travelled a journey of millions miles in just one hour thirty minute. May this journey never end!

4 comments:

SN said...

Life goes on

Unknown said...

Comes from the heart....very well narrated...it was a touching experience indeed...won't come back even if i give up all ( after i have earned enuff ;) )...Good one...Bhai boy !

ashu kant said...

bhai!!! very well done...
and it was nice to find a mention in your journey...
but 2 things

1. jaha naam likhne the waha likhe nahi...
2. yeh meerut jaaate hue bus muzzafarnagar kaise ruk gayi...?

Lakshya said...

@ashu - kahan naam dena hai .. batado aa jayega .. aur meri aadat hai muradabad ko muzzafnagar kehna .. waise changes ho jayenge.